Friday, February 16, 2007

Just so you know

In one of the latest episodes of Top Gear, they tested the Bugatti Veyron and pushed it to its max speed. I was done on a secret, private Volkswagen circuit. That made me wonder, What is the relation between Bugatti and Volkswagen?. A quick search revealed a lot of interesting and shocking facts.

All the time I was under the impression that each car brand is completely independent and that the competition is fierce among them. I was wrong, for example, Volkswagen owns nine, NINE!, different brands some of which are Audi, Lambo, Bugatti, Porsche. I was quite amazed by that. So went on to research on other car brands.

The worst part of this search task was that I found some statements which really hurt my confidence in car knowledge. You see, after watching Top Gear in the amounts I do, we usually develop this feeling, rather, a belief that all Vauxhall cars are useless and that they are the worst of the lot. Its an impression Jezza creates in all the viewers by stressing that fact in almost all the episodes.

When I clicked on the Vauxhall wiki page, it had this.

Vauxhall Motors is a UK car company. It is a subsidiary of General Motors. Most current Vauxhall models are right-hand drive derivatives of GM's Opel brand
That statement devastated me. Why? I have an Opel Corsa, and so now its can also be a Vauxhall Corsa. First when I heard of the Vauxhall Corsa, I though it was a coincidence that they had the same name, little I knew it was the same Corsa. Damn. But hey its not a Vauxhall Vectra and some Vauxhalls are good too! Take the VX220 for example, its better than the Lotus Elise!

I still love the corsa :D

Some of the major car companies and their brands...

Volkswagen:
  • Audi (Germany)
  • Bentley (Great Britan)
  • Bugatti (France)
  • Lamborghini (Italy)
  • Porsche (Germany)
  • SEAT (Spain)
  • Škoda (Czech Republic)
  • Volkswagen (Germany)
  • Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (Germany)
General Motors
  • Buick
  • Cadillac
  • Chevrolet
  • GMC
  • Daewoo
  • Holden,
  • Hummer
  • Opel
  • Pontiac
  • Saab
  • Saturn
  • Vauxhall
Fiat
  • Alfa Romeo
  • Lancia
  • Ferrari (Run autonomously)
  • Fiat
  • Maserati
  • Iveco
  • Autobianchi
  • Innocenti
  • Abarth
Ford
  • Aston Martin
  • Jaguar
  • Ford
  • Daimler (division of Jaguar)
  • Land Rover
  • Rover
  • Volvo
  • Mazda(33.4% share)
BMW:
  • BMW
  • Rolls Royce
  • Mini
Toyota
  • Toyota
  • Lexus
  • Scion
Honda:
  • Honda
  • Acura
Renault
  • Dacia
  • Renault F1
  • Renault Samsung Motors
  • Renault Sport
Now before you compare a lambo to an audi, think twice :P.

3 comments:

Sudhir Swarnkar said...

If you do little WIKIing then you will find that these Brands (which you mentioned)are under of their corresponding company after lots and lots of different mergers and splits. You will be much more amazed by which brand was of which company earlier and how come is it a Brand of this company now.

Of these I remember a few as Daewoo(Korea) was bought by GM. I see SAAB(Sweden) also under GM but am not sure whether its true or not.

Similarly Volvo is also a Swedish Company. Now the car division is with GM and Trucks and Heavy vehicles are with Volvo.

Moreover BMW acquired Rolls Royce a few years back.

I also didn't know all this earlier. Its all Wiki which I did a year and half back ;)

Siddharth said...

yeah..
i got this all from the wiki alone :D

Anonymous said...

At least they dont just stop all cars when they take over other makes. I like Corsas they have a nice durable Vauxhall engine for their price.